Republic Act (RA) 10022 passed into law on March 8, 2010. This Act, amending RA 8042, otherwise known as the Migrant Workers and Overseas Filipinos Act of 1995, as amended, is geared towards further improving the standard of protection and promotion of the welfare of migrant workers, their families and overseas Filipinos in distress and for other purposes.
Section 37-A Compulsory Insurance Coverage for Agency Hired Workers is the portion of RA 10022 that deals specifically with the requirement for each migrant worker deployed by recruitment or manning agencies to be covered by a compulsory insurance policy that shall be secured at no cost to the worker.
Paramount Life & General Insurance Corporation (PLGIC) is the first insurance company accredited by the Insurance Commission to provide this OFW insurance.
WHAT IS THE REPUBLIC ACT (RA) 10022?
The RA 10022 is geared towards improving the standard of protection and the promotion of the welfare of migrant workers, their families and overseas Filipinos in distress, and for other purposes.
WHAT IS AN OFW?
The term ’OFW‘ refers to a person who is to be engaged, is engaged or has been engaged in a remunerated activity in a state of which he or she is not a citizen or on board a vessel navigating the foreign seas other than a government ship used for military or non-commercial purposes or on an installation located offshore or on the high seas; to be used interchangeably with ’migrant worker‘.
AS AN OFW, WHAT DOES THIS ACT DO FOR ME?
Section 37A, The Compulsory Insurance Coverage for Agency Hired Workers, states that in addition to the performance bond to be filed by the recruitment/manning agency, each migrant worker deployed by a recruitment/manning agency shall be covered by a compulsory insurance policy which shall be secured at no cost to said worker.
Such insurance policy shall be effective for the duration of the migrant worker’s employment contract and shall cover, at the minimum:
- Accidental Death, with at least US$15,000 survivor's benefit.
- Natural Death, with at least US$10,000 survivor's benefit.
- Permanent total disablement, with at least US$7,500 disability benefit.
- Repatriation cost of the worker when his/her employment is terminated without any valid cause, as well as in the case of death.
- Subsistence allowance benefit, with at least US$100 per month for a maximum of 6 months for a migrant worker involved in a case or litigation for the protection of his/her life in the receiving country.
- Money claims arising from the employer's liability.
- Compassionate visit from 1 family member or requested individual when a migrant worker is hospitalized and has been confined for at least 7 consecutive days.
- Medical evacuation under appropriate medical supervision when an adequate medical facility is not available proximate to the migrant worker.
- Medical repatriation to the migrant worker's residence when medically necessary and cleared as deemed by an attending physician.
Paramount OFW Policy
WHY SHOULD PARAMOUNT LIFE & GENERAL INSURANCE CORPORATION PROVIDE YOUR OFW COVERAGE?
Aside from the benefits of the policy itself, PLGIC is a trusted name in insurance, possessing a composite license.
The Insurance Commission has granted Paramount Life & General Insurance Corporation a composite license to do life and non-life insurance business in the Philippines. As opposed to other businesses that require two different licenses to operate their life and non-life businesses, as well as two different management teams, PLGIC has one management team that leads both divisions. This means more streamlined products, service, decision-making and problem-solving.
Paramount has a 24/7 Call Center
Paramount has established a 24/7 Call Center to accept calls and inquiries. This provides uninterrupted service whenever you need it.
There is always someone from Paramount ready to attend to your needs—24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Paramount will be assigning representatives abroad to provide you with assistance in your country of employment. To help you feel supported in a foreign country, a Paramount customer service officer will be sent where OFWs are situated to provide easier access and faster service for OFWs, wherever they are located. This means faster and easier claims settlement.
The first ever policy verification text system in the country.
Paramount is proud to provide added security for policy holders by offering the first ever policy verification system for OFW Certificates of Insurance (COI). Through our Text Inquiry System, you can easily verify the authenticity of your Paramount issued COI.
Simply text the following information from your mobile phone:
OFW [space] COI No. [space] Security Code
(Ex. OFW 10189474 VHCJM270D90)
Globe +(63) (917) 556-7391
Smart +(63) (920) 948-5496
Sun +(63) (922) 896-4829
The COI No. and Security Code can be found at the upper right hand corner of your COI.