Republic Act 10022
WHAT IS THE REPUBLIC ACT (RA) 10022?
The RA 10022 is geared towards improving the standard of protection and the promotion of the welfare of migrant workers, their families and overseas Filipinos in distress, and for other purposes.
WHAT IS AN OFW?
The term ’OFW‘ refers to a person who is to be engaged, is engaged or has been engaged in a remunerated activity in a state of which he or she is not a citizen or on board a vessel navigating the foreign seas other than a government ship used for military or non-commercial purposes or on an installation located offshore or on the high seas; to be used interchangeably with ’migrant worker‘.
AS AN OFW, WHAT DOES THIS ACT DO FOR ME?
Section 37A, The Compulsory Insurance Coverage for Agency Hired Workers, states that in addition to the performance bond to be filed by the recruitment/manning agency, each migrant worker deployed by a recruitment/manning agency shall be covered by a compulsory insurance policy which shall be secured at no cost to said worker.
Such insurance policy shall be effective for the duration of the migrant worker’s employment contract and shall cover, at the minimum:
- Accidental Death, with at least US$15,000 survivor’s benefit.
- Natural Death, with at least US$ 10,000 survivor’s benefit.
- Permanent total disablement, with at least US$ 7,500 disability benefit.
- Repatriation cost of the worker when his/her employment is terminated without any valid cause, as well as in the case of death.
- Subsistence allowance benefit, with at least US$ 100 per month for a maximum of 6 months for a migrant worker involved in a case or litigation for the protection of his/her life in the receiving country.
- Money claims arising from the employer’s liability.
- Compassionate visit from 1 family member or requested individual when a migrant worker is hospitalized and has been confined for at least 7 consecutive days.
- Medical evacuation under appropriate medical supervision when an adequate medical facility is not available proximate to the migrant worker.
- Medical repatriation to the migrant worker’s residence when medically necessary and cleared as deemed by an attending physician.